O U R S T O R Y . . .
Central Baptist Church was charted in 1957 by Dr. U.G. Robertson. The first service was held on July 28, 1957, under a tent on Gillis Road in the Craddock neighborhood of Portsmouth, VA. The little church under the tent grew and moved to 1500 Elm Avenue before its first anniversary. The church also began supporting its first missionary in 1958, Rev. Bobby Finch, missionary to Japan.
By its third anniversary, attendance swelled and the need for additional space was clear. In 1964, Central purchased 6.5 acres on 1200 Hodges Ferry Road in Portsmouth, VA where the church still resides today. The first service in the new sanctuary was held in May, 1965.
Central continues to minister to the Portsmouth community from the Hodges Ferry location with worship services, small groups, children's and student ministries. The church's missions emphasis supports missionaries around the world and local missions programs in the U.S.